With the surge in bike sales during the lockdown, the UK government has announced £2 billion worth of improvements walking and cycling routes.
For our latest blog, we are going to focus on the benefits of hot boxes plus explaining the main points of this announcement.
A New Era for Cycling and Walking
The statement from the Department for Transport, Office for Low Emission Vehicles can be summarised with the following points –
- The largest ever boost for cyclists and pedestrians
- Implementing emergency bike lanes and streets that will help support transport networks
- Trials of rental e-scooters to be brought forward, increasing green transport options
- Government collaboration with leading technology developers with the aim to reduce crowding on public transport
Hot boxes are ideal to store bituminous materials at the correct temperature prior to laying small excavations such as road alterations; which includes the installation of cycle routes.
Safety Precautions working with Hot Box Hire
If you are working with bitumen bound materials, N.D Brown would recommend taking the following precautions –
- Always wear correct personal protection such as coveralls, boots and gloves
- When bitumen is hot it will produce fumes, which must not be inhaled as they are harmful to your health. If bitumen is used in the open air the risk is considerably lower.
- Molten bitumen is much hotter than boiling water and will burn your skin. If an accident occurs you will need to –
– Bathe areas with cold water and seek medical advice
- If bitumen is cold it can still affect your skin and eyes. If it comes into direct contact with your eyes you will need to –
– Wash with water and seek medical advice
- Bitumen bound materials take between 15 and 30 minutes to cool down to a comfortable temperature to touch. This is why a reinstatement completed using hot-lay bituminous materials should not be opened immediately to the public. If you are unsure, check it using a temperature probe. This is crucial in residential areas where young children could be playing. Whether it is a practical option depends on the requirement and the location of the works.
Get in Touch with N.D Brown
If you have any questions about hot box hire from N.D Brown, please contact us today.
About ND Brown
ND Brown Ltd is a specialist independent truck rental and sales company of over 40 years’ standing. Owned and operated by the same dedicated management team since its inception, ND Brown’s efforts are focused on supplying the utility, civil engineering, municipal and highway maintenance industries with high-quality modern HGV vehicles for both short and long-term self-drive hire.
From our sales division, we also sell a wide, but specialised range of new and used commercial vehicles.
Please call us on 01902 791991 or email us on email@example.com